Tuesday, December 27, 2005

CI Paul

In the Malayalam film Vellanakalute Nadu, there is a role of the brother of the character played by Shobhana, the heroine. He had only three or four scenes in the film, if I remember correctly. But I liked the way CI Paul, the actor, played this character. I had watched this film from Christ College auditorium, as part of some free film show. I still remember the scene where CI Paul bursts out at Jagadeesh and team, and kicks the vessels and temporary cooking arrangements that they had setup in his compound, without his permission.

CI Paul never got any roles in his film career that can be called as challenging. Most of them were minor ones, lasting only few scenes, and often with a touch of comedy. But I think he portrayed these characters in a natural way and made them memorable, however small they are. The "good" police inspector of Nadodikkattu, the food inspector of Mithunam, hero's father in Darling Darling - these are some of the characters that come to my mind now. And of course, the role of the hero's (played by Sreenivasan) father-in-law in Vadakkunokkiyanthram, and the scene in which Sreenivasan beats him mistakenly, and then asks "Achchan eppo vannu?", respectfully.

CI Paul passed away on 14th December. I came to know about this only last week, from Mathrubhoomi newspaper where his relatives had put a notice about the 10th day rituals.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I accidentally came across your blog some days ago and now I am a sort of fan of you. In fact I am too from thrissur. I find in many things we have common tastes. Cheran's Autograph was one of my favorite tamil movies...I plan to see this one too...

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sir,
your blog is really nice
congrats

4:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C I Paul is no more?? I'm more than astonished. How we take these lesser-known actors for granted. I was actually checking his IMDb page and was stunned to see a date of death. A Google search to confirm the news led me to your post.

It's been three years and I wasn't aware! :(

Yes, whatever minor roles he played were very memorable. I enjoyed every single character you mentioned in the post. In the times of Prem Nazir he used to play goondas. There are many more quirky characters he gave life to, like the loudspeaker father-in-law in Uthaman (2001).

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home